THE LATEST NEWS
- Clash magazine’s Spring 2021 issue will feature a Gorillaz article about an upcoming Fred Perry range (see right).
- A mix of tracks from Gorillaz titled Gorillaz (Gorillaz 20 Mix) has been released.
- A box set of Gorillaz’ studio albums on vinyl titled G Collection will be released on Record Store Day this July.
- This Fall, Gorillaz will release an anniversary edition of their first album.
- Fred Perry have begun a new ad campaign with Gorillaz, featuring interviews with the band and a new set of playlists (see below).
WHO ARE GORILLAZ?
In 1998, Blur frontman Damon Albarn OBE & Tank Girl artist Jamie Hewlett were sharing a flat together & binge-watching MTV, eventually becoming sick of the lack of substance and offering to counter the emptiness of modern Pop music with a group who could muster more personality & identity without any of the members even existing; one day later, Gorillaz was born.
WHAT MAKES GORILLAZ SPECIAL?
Musically, Gorillaz stand out as a group capable of tackling almost every genre out there, often drawing from a wide pool of collaborators to fuse and blend drastically different styles, giving themselves a unique sound that stands out against most other musicians.
Image-wise, their major hook is simply not being real. All of the band members are fictitious cartoon characters with significant roles in the band, their own musical backgrounds and developed backstories; paired with personalities that make them compelling characters worth following as the story of their career continues to progress over the years.