THE LATEST NEWS
- A vinyl release of Meanwhile… has been confirmed.
- The War Child album Help: A Day in the Life will receive a 12″ vinyl pressing next March (in black, red & yellow editions); it features the track Hong Kong (War Child).
- Gorillaz have made the cover of Spotify’s Anti Pop! playlist (see right).
- A new video for Jimmy Jimmy has been uploaded (see above).
- Live performances of Meanwhile & Déjà Vu have been uploaded to YouTube; the comments feature Q&A sessions with the band.
- Elton John has put The Pink Phantom on his new compilation album, The Lockdown Sessions.
- A Gorillaz Carnival Playlist has been released (see below).
WHO ARE GORILLAZ?
In 1998, Blur frontman Damon Albarn OBE & Tank Girl artist Jamie Hewlett were sharing a flat together & binge-watching MTV, eventually becoming sick of the lack of substance and offering to counter the emptiness of modern Pop music with a group who could muster more personality & identity without any of the members even existing; one day later, Gorillaz was born.
WHAT MAKES GORILLAZ SPECIAL?
Musically, Gorillaz stand out as a group capable of tackling almost every genre out there, often drawing from a wide pool of collaborators to fuse and blend drastically different styles, giving themselves a unique sound that stands out against most other musicians.
Image-wise, their major hook is simply not being real. All of the band members are fictitious cartoon characters with significant roles in the band, their own musical backgrounds and developed backstories; paired with personalities that make them compelling characters worth following as the story of their career continues to progress over the years.